Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fine-Motor Development in Early Childhood

Fine-Motor skills progress a lot during early childhood. I have seen a tremendous amount of difference between my 2 year old niece (almost 3) and my 5 year old nephew (almost 6). Both of them love to color and draw, so almost every time I am with them they will draw me a picture. My nephew also likes to show me his school work from his kindergarten class. Since we have been talking about this in our class, I have really noticed the difference between the two and how amazing it is that within just a couple of years they progress so much. My niece will sit down with me and make a whole bunch of scribbles on a blank paper. She will not tell me what she is drawing until she is done. I try guessing but I never get it right! The last picture she "drew" for me was a whole bunch of pink scribbles. When she was finished she said "Here Aunt Jill, it's a picture of a pretty pink princess for your fridge." My 5 year old nephew on the other hand will sit down and draw his idea of what represents people and will go into fine detail. The last picture he drew for me was of him playing basketball with his friends and his mom and I, along with other parents and friends, watching their game. He drew this for me shortly after I had gone to one of his basketball games. Although I didn't know that it was of a specific memory he had with me I could easily make out people playing basketball and others standing on the side "watching." The example of my niece and nephew and their drawing is typical for children of their age. Children of age 2 just scribble, by age 3 their scribbles start to represent things like my niece's pink scribbles, between age 3-4, children draw something that can usually be depicted as a person, and by age 5-6 their pictures become more realistic.

By Jill Fritter

1 comment:

  1. I have noticed with my own grandkids how on task they are with the different developmental stages. It is fun to watch them and know that they are developing right in line with where they should be. I have a grandson and a granddaughter. I enjoy watching them and spotting the physical and cognitive gender differences. Having them to watch, makes this class more meaningful. I have also noticed the language development between the two kids. My granddaughter is the oldest and was saying words by the time she was a year old. My grandson is eighteen months old and just now saying words. It is always fun to watch them but it is even more fun now. I like to relate what we are learning in class to their developments.
    Susan Davis

    ReplyDelete